EU students

Students abroad in the EU: residence rights

Students – residence rights

You have the right to live in the EU country where you are studying for the duration of your studies if you:

  • are enrolled in an approved educational establishment
  • have sufficient income, from any source, to live without needing income support
  • have comprehensive health insurance cover there.
    National authorities may not require your income to be above the level that would qualify you for basic income support.

You could lose your right to stay in the country if you finish your studies and cannot prove you are working or have sufficient resources to support yourself.